Although Pun Salad has pooh-poohed the left wing efforts to link conservative/libertarian rhetoric with mass murder, recent events have caused me to take a hard look in the mirror.
OK, you might laugh. Obviously, the chances of a lunatic being set off by an inadvertent metaphorical mention of "crosshairs" is low. But if it saves even one life, then isn't it incumbent on us all to watch what we say, tone down the rhetoric, and just basically STFU? Of course.
Which made me look with shame upon Pun Salad's use—some might say
overuse—of the HTML
<ul> tag, the unordered
- Or, as it's informally known: the bullet list. Uh oh.
- What was I thinking? If pop psychology, as explicated by numerous
New York Times and Washington Post columnists, has taught
us anything, it's that the juxtaposition
of (a) conservative opinion and
(b) anything at all suggestive of firearms is likely to send
your random psychopath off on a spree of indiscriminate
shooting of politicians, children, and other innocent bystanders.
And who am I to say that the plethora of those • symbols in so
many Pun Salad posts hasn't pushed some nutball into a
violent reaction: "Ohmigod! Bullets! Bullets everywhere! Telling
So what to do?
- Maybe change it to an arrow? But I'd hate to take responsibility for any crazed archers out there. Better avoid anything pointy.
- A heart perhaps? It's a symbol of love, baby. But to a person in a certain frame of mind, it can also be a big fat target. Avoid this too.
- Hello kitty! Nah, that one almost makes me homicidal.
- Ditto for snowflakes. I'd be OK with not seeing another one
as long as I live, and I take no responsibility for what
I might do if the frickin' town plow
buries my mailbox again…
Deep breaths… Pure thoughts… I'm OK now.
- Ah, a nice flower. Who could be tipped over the edge by that?
Anyone who's allergic, that's who! Die, you insensitive clod!
Can't win, I guess.
IMAO has a brief list (bullet-free, but excessive pointiness) of other problematic behavior, and his commenters have many, many more examples. We're doomed.